Through the generosity of Helene Kurshan Jacoby, the first endowed chair in the Department of Anesthesiology was established on July 8, 2005 in honor and memory of her late husband, Jay J. Jacoby, MD, PhD, who is recognized for his dedication and leadership as a chair, physician, and educator.
The Jay J. Jacoby, MD, PhD Chair in Anesthesiology will support the chair of the Department of Anesthesiology, who is a nationally eminent anesthesiologist, professor of anesthesiology and an outstanding educator whose focus is to support the advancement of medical knowledge in the field through teaching, improved patient care and research.
Dr. Jacoby served as the initial chair of the Department of Anesthesiology from 1947 until 1959. Following his service as chair of the Departments of Anesthesiology at Marquette University and Thomas Jefferson University, Dr. Jacoby returned to the faculty at Ohio State in 1988 where he remained a vital and active member of the faculty until July 1, 1998. During Dr. Jacoby’s long and distinguished career, he helped to train a number of outstanding anesthesiologists, including three past presidents of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
He was nationally renowned for establishing the hospital “code blue” system and the postoperative care unit. His career in academic medicine spanned over 60 years, during which 40 years were spent in chairmanship positions. Under his leadership, the department moved in the direction of excellence in patient care, teaching and research, growth and integrity.
His efforts as chairman, faculty member, clinician and teacher were instrumental in positioning The Ohio State University College of Medicine and University Hospitals as one of America’s top hospitals and universities. Throughout this, his passion for teaching was strong, and his demeanor with medical students and residents was warm and compassionate.