Department of Anesthesiology
Week of March 27h, 2017
The Department of Anesthesiology’s weekly e-newsletter will be distributed on Friday of each week promoting department activities for the upcoming week. To submit a news item, please contact Taylor Stein at Taylor.Stein@osumc.edu by Thursday at 12:00 pm
Caring for Our Own
Tyson Kaufman was recently diagnosed with acute rejection of both lungs, and is on the transplant recipient list for new lungs. We are all hoping that Tyson is able to get a new set of lungs soon. However, once he does, he will need our help.
One way to help Tyson is to make a donation through the Children’s Ohio Transplant Association\
To donate please visit the website below
Events will be held on Friday, March 31st. A breakfast will be provided in the Ross Auditorium from 6:30-9am and a lunch in the Wallace auditorium at UHE from 11:30-1pm. As in years past, if you cannot make the event someone from our department will collect your gift once the event ends in the Ross.
Anesthesia Tech Day is Friday, March 31st!
Did you know you can be exempt from your DEA fee at renewal?
Simply select “Fee Exempt” during online renewal and provide the following information for verification:
700 Ackerman Road, Room 630
Columbus, OH 43202
From Dr. Moran,
“Great job today pulling off the PGY1 Anesthesiology Olympics. Running 6 stations simultaneously, 11 times in a row is a huge task and everyone did an amazing job.
Special thanks to Drs. Lipps, Rankin, Stahl, Amusa, Herndon and Sams for Facilitating.
I also want to reiterate how great our visitors were from the University of Kentucky, Dr. Annette Rebel and Amy Dilorenzo, who not only provided us with the Anesthesiology Olympics template as part of her FAER grant research, but came today to help us pull it off.”
Ohio Health Aid YMCA screening
Thank you for participating/ organizing the event: Drs. Rogers, Ackermann, Uribe and Stoicea, and the Manager-Anesthesia Service, Chad Barto.
Employees Only Webpage
Do you know where all our department's policies/guidelines, compliance requirements and other useful information is accessible?
Click “Employees Only” (bottom of the page)
Depending on what computer you are using, you may be asked to sign in with your OSUWMC ID and password.
Meet your MOCA Part 4 requirements here at OSU. New Simulation courses will be offered in 2017 with discounts for OSU faculty.
Open dates include: 7/22, 8/26, 12/2. More details at https://ccme.osu.edu Search "anesthesiology"
Sign up early as spots fill quickly. Contact Dr. Lipps with questions.
Donna Heavener – CRM Champion of the Month
Jason Porter, MD
William Kelly, MD
Tuesday, March 28 CA1 Didactic Lecture
Fluid Management and Component Therapy – Dr. Lyaker
Thursday, March 30 Morning Report
ASA Presentation – Dr. Andrea Fuller
Dr. Emmett Whitaker - NCH
Friday, March 31 CA3 Didactic Lecture
Chronic Pain – Dr. Tornero-Bold
Local Anesthetics – Dr. Tornero-Bold
Can’t make it to Grand Rounds?
You can watch Department of Anesthesiology Grand Rounds live by going to:
In order to receive CME credit, it must be watched live, and following watching the recording, send confirmation to: Sarah.Robertson@osumc.edu with what video you watched.
If you watch recorded videos on this site and not live, in order to receive CME credits, you must self-report this to the State Medical Board.
For questions, please email Sarah.Robertson@osumc.edu
1. Citation: Chowdhury, T., Garg, R., Sheshadri, V., Venkatraghavan, L., Bergese, S. D., Cappellani, R. B., & Schaller, B. (2017). Perioperative Factors Contributing the Post-Craniotomy Pain: A Synthesis of Concepts. Frontiers in Medicine, 4(23). doi: 10.3389/fmed.2017.00023
Journal Name: Frontiers in Medicine
2. “Revisiting blood transfusion and predictors of outcome in cardiac surgery patients: a concise perspective”
Authors: Carlos E Arias-Morales1, Nicoleta Stoicea1, Alicia A Gonzalez-Zacarias1, Diana Slawski2, Sujatha P. Bhandary2, Theodosios Saranteas3, Eva Kaminiotis3, Thomas J Papadimos2
3. Bergese SD, Uribe AA, Puente EG, Marcus RJL, Krohn RJ, Docsa S, Soto RG, Candiotti KA A Prospective, Multicenter, Single-Blind Study Assessing Indices of SNAP II Versus BIS VISTA on Surgical Patients Undergoing General Anesthesia
JMIR Res Protoc 2017;6(2):e15 DOI: 10.2196/resprot.6741
Sasima Dusitkasem,1,2,* Blair H. Herndon,1 Monsicha Somjit,1,3 David L. Stahl,1 Emily Bitticker,1,4 and John C. Coffman1
5. Suren Soghomonyan1*, Nicoleta Stoicea1, Gurneet S. Sandhu1, Jeffrey J. Pasternak2 and Sergio D. Bergese1,(2017). The Role of Permissive and Induced Hypotension in Current Neuroanesthesia Practice. Frontiers in Surgery
Journal Name: Frontiers in Surgery
6. Gan, T. J., Kranke, P., Minkowitz, H. S., Bergese, S. D., Motsch, J., Eberhart, L., ... & Candiotti, K. A. (2016). Intravenous Amisulpride for the Prevention of Postoperative Nausea and VomitingTwo Concurrent, Randomized, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Trials. The Journal of the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
7. Bergese, S.D., et al., Multicenter Study Validating Accuracy of a Continuous Respiratory Rate Measurement Derived From Pulse Oximetry: A Comparison With Capnography. Anesth Analg, 2017.
Rankin, Demicha, Alix Zuleta Alarcon, Suren Soghomonyan, Mahmoud Abdel-Rasoul, Karina Castellon-Larios, Sergio Bergese
Journal of Clinical Anesthesia , Volume 37 , 69 - 73
9. From Bad to Worse: Paraganglioma Diagnosis during Induction of Labor for Coexisting Preeclampsia. Sasima Dusitkasem, Blair H. Herndon, Dalton Paluzzi, Joseph Kuhn, Robert H. Small, and John C. Coffman. Case Reports in Anesthesiology Volume 2017 (2017), Article ID 5495808.
10. Veizi, E., Tornero-Bold, M. and Hayek, S. M. (2016). Resolution of Intrathecal Hydromorphone or Morphine-induced Peripheral Edema by Opioid Rotation to Fentanyl: A Case Series. Pain Practice, 16: E94–E98. doi:10.1111/papr.12443
Have you submitted an abstract, a paper, or a case report for publication? Have you presented a poster at a conference, lectured at Grand Rounds, or given a talk for Journal Club? Have you been published recently? Please send your scholarly activity to Taylor Stein at Taylor.Stein@osumc.edu.